Rep. Burrows joins Gov. Abbott at signing of the Texas Property Tax Reform & Transparency Act
Today, Rep. Dustin Burrows (R-Lubbock) joined Governor Greg Abbott as the Governor signed the landmark Texas Property Tax Reform & Transparency Act. Representative Burrows authored HB2 in the Texas House, which was the companion bill to the Senate version (SB2). Burrows and the Governor were joined by House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, Lt. Governor Dan Patrick and Texas State Senator Charles Perry for the signing ceremony at Wally's Burger Express, which is struggling due to skyrocketing property taxes.
"Texans are fed up with property tax hikes and this bill addresses the helplessness Texans feel in this regard," said Rep. Dustin Burrows. “My House colleagues and I are proud to have worked with the Senate and Governor to steer the legislative process in an inclusive manner, a manner that allowed all members of the legislature to represent their constituents in the bill's structure."
Rep. Burrows continued, "Control and transparency - those are the key focuses of this bill - this legislation will enable Texas taxpayers a more active role at the local level, where appraisals and tax rates are set. This gives taxpayers the transparency and the tools they need to do that."
Other highlights of the Texas Property Tax Reform & Transparency Act include:
- Slows tax growth rate by lowering the voter approval rate from 8% to 3.5% for most taxing units;
- Fosters collaboration between taxpayers & government in budgeting for their community;
- Protects property owners from seeing their property value increase when protesting at the
- appraisal review board level;
- Encourages fiscal responsibility by allowing units that stay under the voter approval rate to use the unused amount to raise the rate within 3 years;
- Improves effectiveness and efficiency by creating a Property Tax Advisory Board to make ongoing recommendations to improve the property tax system